Thursday, January 22, 2009

Are you going to finish strong?


As I toddled into work this brisk Spokanian morn, I found myself squinting through my shoddily scraped icy windshield into a sea of morning fog that has seemed to envelop this valley every a.m. for the last week or so. My thoughts were floating between the sports talk radio I was listening to, and my sales teams performance this month. It was any other wintry day. As I enter my office my routine is the same, call to life my Dell beast, log into my Aflac websites to see my weekly sales numbers, then turn to my baby, my little nugget of hope, my cyber mattress where our money is hid, my glorious stock portfolio. I have always secretly dreamed of rising to the semi lofty realm of day trader. Wielding my financial muscle as I stock pile millions into my various bank accounts dotting this great land. Alas, my dream is unfulfilled, other priorities keep creeping in (like life).


Being a west coast baby now when I awoke this morn the markets had been open for hours and - gasp - the damage had been done. Nooooo, I screeched as my real time stock ticker looked like a kamikaze nose diver heading for the ground. I know the market has been shifty the last several months and I know everyone has lost at least something. But in my genius head, I thought I was resistant. Several strong investments here or there and my baby had been able to withstand the beating the market has been taking recently. This morning it caught up, a 36% loss and a two day total of 46%.


What does this mean? Absolutely nothing. Life is still good. the market will rebound. Two months from now business will be back to normal. A small hiccup. It is all temporary.


But somethings in life are not temporary. I don't mean this to be a weird of unsympathetic segue (I dig the random parable) but as I was experiencing this silly moment of me losing a little money in the market I was sent this message and video that showed me again what life is all about and what true happiness is and where it comes from.


See Nick Vujicic.


What do you do when you fall down? You get back up. Sometimes in life when you fall down you don’t feel like you don’t have the strength to get back up…


Do you feel like you have hope?
I will try 100 times to get up and if I fail 100 times do think I am ever going to give up?


It is not the end it matters how you are going to finish.


Are you going to finish strong? If you have hope you will find the strength to get back up.


Next time you feel bad, lose hope or want to quit, remember this


No comments: